By | December 24, 2019

Can a person be “cured” of Type 2 Diabetes? Dr. Sarah Hallberg provides compelling evidence that it can, and the solution is simpler than you might think.

Dr. Sarah Hallberg is the Medical Director of the Medically Supervised Weight Loss Program at IU Health Arnett, a program she created. She is board certified in both obesity medicine and internal medicine and has a Master’s Degree in Exercise Physiology. She has recently created what is only the second non-surgical weight loss rotation in the country for medical students. Her program has consistently exceeded national benchmarks for weight loss, and has been highly successful in reversing diabetes and other metabolic diseases. Dr. Hallberg is also the co-author of www.fitteru.us, a blog about health and wellness.

B.S., Kinesiology & Exercise Science, Illinois State University, 1994

M.S., Kinesiology & Exercise Science, Illinois State University, 1996

M.D., Des Moines University, 2002

This talk was given at a TEDx event using the TED conference format but independently organized by a local community. Learn more at http://ted.com/tedx

19 thoughts on “Reversing Type 2 diabetes starts with ignoring the guidelines | Sarah Hallberg | TEDxPurdueU

1. Lewis Dampeer

Well there are complex and simple carbs all I keep hearing is conflicting information so I don't really know what to believe wow I'm confused

2. Sos

Chinese eat tons of rice and noodles Where’s the diabetes there?
    Let’s try looking at other organ destroying chemicals in our food

3. illbbback

My doctor said I had onset type 2 and got out his prescription pad. I HATE taking pills. I said "Wait, what about diet and exercise". He put down his pad looked at me and said; "Ok lose 15 lbs in the next 90 days and cut out sugar, pasta, bread, rice and potatoes. ( I just told myself No sugar. No starch). In ten weeks I'v lost 35 lbs. I have lots of stir fry. Cut up vegi sauted in olive oil then I add soy sauce and a de-boned rotisserie chicken, sometimes some cashews or peanut. Or hamburger cooked with no sugar taco mix mixed the onions, peppers, mushrooms and tomatoes. For breakfast i love a cheese omelette. I snack on nuts. Cheer my on. I take my next A1c in 3 weeks.

4. Cyndi Manka

I’ve been trying to help a friend. I’ve sent her dr Berg videos. Dr Fung videos. Now this one. I can’t get her and her husband on board. He’s morbidly obese. She’s obese with diabetes.

5. Robert Orion

I saw this video a few years ago and changed my diet to fit these recommendations. It did not work. My A1C continued is slow march into negative territory and my HDL/LDL/Triglycerides did not get better. After about 2 years I ended up having a preventative angioplasty to clear to arteries. After that event I switched to the "Starch Solution" and I lost a bit of weight, my LDL dropped to about 50, my Triglycerides were cut in half, my liver function went to normal, as did my A1C. I agree the standard guidelines you get from doctors are all wrong, but at least for me, the right answer was Whole Food Plant Based Vegan with an emphasis on starches like Potatoes, Corn, Rice, Beans, etc. That is what worked for me.

6. Luvin Itall

uggggghhhhhh … when will people realise that there's NO "one size fits all"… so saying that insulin resistance results in creation of more insulin = obesity is just wrong … if only for the simple reason that I'm Type 2 and I'm not overweight.

And … STOP telling people that you can reverse Type 2 Diabetes. You CAN NOT. All you can do is try to side-step it by not consuming carbs. That does NOT remove the fact that our body can no-longer process sugar.

It amazes me how some people claim to be so intelligent and experienced and yet do not get this simple fact. FFS – get off your soap-boxes and stop trying to influence people to do things that benefit you (socially / professionally) but risk harm to others.

7. Kasia Kasia

Many people stopped having diabetes 2 after implementing Plant Based Diet. No animal products. They eat plenty of carbs and are healthy. But they do not eat any processed food, no sugar, no oils and no animal products.

8. Ken Musto

THIS IS SO TRUE! START A REVOLUTION. Sarah — love your passion! CARBS MUST BE CUT. Sart with this — Eat only whole foods, no processed food — none, zero, zilch.

9. Colleen Baptiste

I just found this and it confirms what big already know and practice and am getting very good results from.
    Thanks
    Just shared this with a lot of people